Thursday, May 1, 2014

I took up a Writing Class!

 
In my quest to improve this blog, I realized that I need to improve my writing skills first.  In the past few months, I was lost on how to put my thoughts together.  It was funny how I suddenly felt insecure.

When I encountered  a Facebook post early this year announcing a writing class entitled Writing Effective Magazine articles, I got interested.  When I read further that I need to attend the workshop for seven Saturdays and I am expected to complete weekly assignments, it made me think twice and beyond.  Whaaaat?  Seven Saturdays and homeworks?  Am I really up to it?

My passion overruled.  Writing is indeed part of what I want to pursue at this season of my life.  I believe that as a learner, reading and writing are parts of the equation.  And so, I made the decision to go for it, the class started March 1 and ended April 12, 2014.  Classes were held at Ortigas from 2 pm to 5pm.  
 

I was with a group of passionate writers from different backgrounds.  Our generous teachers namely Kimberly Snider, Alvin Tud, Evelyn Damian and Alex Lyons are experts on their respective fields and have been both actively writing and teaching.
Top left: Alex and Betsy Lyons from their facebook account, betsyandalex.  Top right: Pastor Alvin Tud.  Lower left: Ms. Evelyn Damian.  Lower right: Ms. Kimberly Snider.
The following are only some of the many topics I learned from the workshop:  The writer;  Understanding how to communicate;  Common article types: Essay/Opinion article, Personality Profile article, Feature articles, Personal Experience article, How-to article, Q & A article, Scripture Teaching article, News Feature article; Blogging and Social Media.

The learning exceeded my expectation from the seminar.  What I thought to be a simple workshop was an intensive class after all.  It was definitely worth my time and money at only p1,200 registration fee.  Sulit talaga!  

If you are thinking of attending a writing workshop or a blogging seminar, I encourage you to go for it!  There’s nothing to lose but everything to gain.  Truth is: La Vida Rosa was born through the blogging 101 seminar I attended, please read more about it HERE.  

I enrolled.  I conquered all the classes and assignments with perseverance.  I enjoyed the coffee and cookies on the side.  I graduated.  I am now a better writer!
My commitment paid off.  Kapag may tiyaga, may nilaga!  There are so much more to learn, I will take it one day at a time.  Meanwhile, I will keep on writing.

This is the reason why this post took a while.  You can now expect more articles from me.  I will try to write the best way I can.  Join me in my quest to live and love a Mom’s colorful life! 
                                                                 --------------------
To those interested to attend a writing class entitled Writing Effective Magazine articles and other media related trainings, watch out for announcements on this blog and subscribe to the following links:

Asia Pacific Media Ministries Philippines



Moms Magazine Subscribers Group

Men in Progress Subscribers Group


Please like  La Vida Rosa on Facebook HERE or follow @LaVidaRhosa on Twitter HERE.



11 comments:

  1. i would love to attend writing classes in the future. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Peachy, thank you for visiting my blog. I will keep in touch with you when there is a new schedule for the writing class. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great article classmate! :) I really need to start my own blog. I'll let you know when I have set-up my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jac, thanks for the support classmate! Go Jac, blog and experience the joy in writing and sharing. Best regards.

      Delete
    2. By the way, in case you need help in setting up your blog, i am at your service, hanggang sa kaya lang ng powers ko ha, :-) I am new just like you and still learning along the way.

      Delete
  3. Hi! This is a very nice post. I also like to attend writing classes in the future. Hope I can do it soon! Take care and God bless you always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SJ, i am glad you liked this post. Thanks for visiting my blog. I will post announcements for future writing class and other related trainings. I will let you know. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hello there ! I stumbled upon your blog via Nuffnang. I too plan on attending writing classes and workshops in the future, Thanks for sharing this post and feel free to drop me a visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thank you for visiting my blog. Thanks to Nuffnang! If you are interested, please email egdamian@apmedia.org or contact Ms. Evelyn Damian at 914-9767 from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday only or you may visit their office:

      Asia Pacific Media Ministries,
      Unit 2608, Raffles Corp. Center, F. Ortigas Jr. Rd. (formerly Emerald Ave.),
      Ortigas Center, Pasig city

      Delete
  5. I wish there are writing classes here in Visayas region, particularly in Cebu City..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly, sorry for the very late reply, i wasn't able to update my blog for quite sometime. If I encountered a writing class in Cebu City, i will keep in touch with you. Thanks for visiting my blog. :-) Daghan Salamat!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please let me know what you think about this post. Thank you!